Tuesday 15 August 2017

DONAILD DUKE FOR PRESIDENT 2019




don1































Donald Duke, the former governor of Cross River state and one time presidential aspirant of the People Democratic Party (PDP)declared his intention to run for Nigeria's president in 2019 He spoke to newsmen that he will contset as a president of Nigeria at the appropriate time. He also said that, it was the presidential race that made him not to contest for the federal legislative seat after his tenure as a governor of Cross River state. He said, “I do not have the flair for the legislature; standing up and sitting down at the chambers to raise a point. That was why I did not contest for the Senate but the presidency, after serving out my term as governor.”

“I have contested the presidency before; I will still give it a shot when the opportunity presents itself. I believe I still have the energy in me,” he said. A former governor of Cross River State, Donald Duke, on Tuesday declared that he wants to be Nigeria’s President. The ex-governor spoke at a programme, “The Nigerian Symposium for Emerging Leaders,” held in Lagos. Duke said though he once aspired to the position but did not emerge the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, he would still contest for the highest office in the country at the appropriate time.

He further explained that it was because of his preference for the presidential seat that he did not vie for any federal legislative seat after serving out his terms as governor. He said, “I do not have the flair for the legislature; standing up and sitting down at the chambers to raise a point. That was why I did not contest for the Senate but the presidency, after serving out my term as governor.” “I have contested the presidency before; I will still give it a shot when the opportunity presents itself. I believe I still have the energy in me,” he said. He, however, canvassed the reform of the country`s political system to accommodate wider participation and good governance. He suggested the review of the electoral law to allow for independent candidacy. Duke said the country`s democracy would fare better if young people, who form the larger proportion of the population,took more active part in its political process.

3 comments: